Online Master of Science
Integrate Technology into a Systems Vision
WPI’s Master of Science in Systems Engineering provides the knowledge, skills, and decision-making abilities to design, manage and lead complex systems engineering projects. A wide range of topics in science, engineering and management coalesce into a master’s degree that’s customized to address relevant technology topics.
Attend a Virtual Open House - March 19 from 12:00pm - 1:00pm EDT
After completing a Master of Science in Systems Engineering, graduates will be prepared to:
- Work with customers and other stakeholders to determine what they want their systems to accomplish in their operational environments.
- Analyze requirements for systems, explore alternatives for implementations and design and engineer systems in a way that minimizes technical risks.
- Develop integration, verification and validation strategies for systems to determine they were built correctly and they meet users’ needs.
- Describe, design and develop complex hardware and/or software architectures that enable the functionality of complex systems and systems-of-systems.
- Work with program managers to plan, document and control the design and development of systems in a way that minimizes budget and schedule risks.
Please see the prerequisites necessary for this program to determine if you have the correct background and experience.
Ten courses, 30 credit hours. The specific courses are determined in conjunction with an academic advisor. All courses are three credits each unless otherwise specified. A thesis is not required for the online program.
Core Requirement (9 credits)
- SYS 501. Concepts of Systems Engineering
- SYS 510. Systems Architecture and Design
- SYS 511. Systems Integration, Verification and Validation
Management Requirement (6 credits)
Complete one of the following two courses:
Complete one additional course from the following:
- MIS 576. Project Management
- MIS 582. Information Security Systems and Management
- OIE 541. Operations Risk Management
- OIE 554. Global Operations Strategy
- SD 550. System Dynamics Foundation: Managing Complexity
Depth Requirement (6 credits)
Complete two additional three credit systems engineering graduate courses. See available courses here.
Elective Courses (6 credits)
Six credit hours can be tailored to the specific needs of the student. Course options may include Computer Science, Engineering, Business, and Mathematics. See suggested electives here.
Capstone Experience (3 Credits Minimum)
Complete SYS 585. Systems Engineering Capstone Experience. Learn more about the Capstone Experience here.
If a Master’s Degree is not the right choice for you, consider one of our Graduate Certificates.