Fundamentals of Biomanufacturing
A Hands-On Approach
EVENING CERTIFICATE PROGRAM BEGINS SEPTEMBER 15, 2014. APRIL 21, 2015. SEPTEMBER 21, 2015.
WPI's Corporate and Professional Education, in collaboration with key representatives from Shire, Abbott Bioresearch, AbbVie, Bristol Myers Squibb and Genzyme (A Sanofi Company), has designed a customized program to provide the skills and knowledge needed to secure employment and career success in the Massachusetts biomanufacturing industry.
This curriculum focuses on skills training — set in an environment that simulates the controlled activities critical for success in biomanufacturing. This eight-week evening program, held at WPI's Biomanufacturing Education and Training Center at Gateway Park and developed by Dr. Alexander Di Iorio, is taught by industry professionals from the collaborating organizations.
- Performing activities in compliance with the cGMP's (Current Good Manufacturing Practices) that are mandated by the FDA (Food & Drug Administration)
- A tour of AbbVie in Worcester
- Operation of critical equipment and instruments such as bioreactors, purification columns, harvesting equipment (centrifuges, depth filters, etc.) biosafety cabinets and analytical instruments
- Following Standard Operating Procedures (SOP's) for these operations
- Completing production batch records
- Filling out equipment checklists and logs
- Demonstrating conduct in compliance with FDA regulations and expectations
Attendees actively participate in a full biomanufacturing process that includes the following unit operations:
- Fermentation operations
- Media preparation/seed inoculums
- Aseptic processing in biosafety cabinet
- Buffer preparation
- Tangential flow concentration and diafiltration
- Purification process (column chromatography)
- Column packing and qualification
- Filtration and integrity testing
- Analytical instrumentation and lab calculations
Once the hands-on processing section of the course begins, participants will be divided into small groups. These groups will rotate through the appropriate unit operations, each led by an instructor who is a subject matter expert from industry. The unique design of this certificate program features not only learning the technical and scientific principles of each unit operation, but also performing each operation under simulated cGMP conditions.
This program has been designed to allow the participants to network with the instructors, who are subject matter experts. Some of these instructors are also hiring managers from biomanufacturing organizations who need to employ trained and skilled individuals to enhance their workforces. Students have the opportunity to enhance their network in the biomanufacturing field, and will be provided with contact information for hiring managers at over 10 biomanufacturing sites in New England.
Potential Hiring Organizations
State Funding may be available to pay for this program. Contact your local Career Center for information about how to qualify. To locate a Career Center near you go to www.servicelocator.org.
- Program Start: September 15 - November 6, 2014. April 21, 2015 running 8 weeks. September 21, 2015 running 8 weeks.
- Registration Deadline: two weeks prior to program start
- Days: Monday, Tuesday and Thursday evenings
- Time: 5:00 - 9:00 p.m.
- Location: Biomanufacturing Education & Training Center
WPI Gateway Park, 50 Prescott Street, Worcester, MA
- Cost: $5000
- CEUs: 9.2
Prerequisite: Participants must be able to read and write English and have basic math skills.
Who Should Attend
Ideal candidates include displaced workers, career changers, those re-entering the workforce and those needing to transition current skills into a new field. Attendance is limited to 20 participants.
Registration and Payment
Register using our online form. Payment may be handled via the following options:
- Credit card - complete and submit the online registration form including your credit card information.
- Personal / bank check – select the P.O. number field and indicate that you will sending a check. Make check out to WPI Corporate and Professional Education, 100 Institute Road, Worcester, MA 01609.
- Grant funding – if unemployed, contact your closest unemployment office to inquire about funding availability and qualifications.